Sunday, December 11, 2011

Waiheke Island

Today I'm cruising over to Waiheke Island, only ~12 miles from Auckland. The plan is to anchor in Huruhi Bay (sheltered from the north-easterlies which are forecast to continue for several days). Many locals have encouraged me to visit Great Barrier Island, but as the prognosticators are predicting crappy weather for the next week, I'll save it for January. Another Twister is said to live on Waiheke Island. It belongs to Miles Hordern who sailed his Twister from NZ to Chile and back and wrote a book about it. I'll let you know if I run into him or his Twister (to clarify, Twister is both the name and the model of my boat. You can read more about Twisters at The Twister Class Association).

1 comment:

  1. I now own Miles Twister - purchased it off him a couple years ago, and she was indeed moored at Waiheke Island. I am doing a complete rebuild, stripped her out below, stripped everything off the deck. Doing this has shown me what a very good build the Twister GRP models are, very robust.
    Cheerw
    ZMK

    ReplyDelete