Friday, June 15, 2012

Next Stop Australia

The low pressure system has passed and it looks like favorable winds for the foreseeable future (which I guess is about 5 days when it comes to these types of weather forecasts). So, in a few hours (around 1300 local time June 15 on this side of the dateline) I will be departing Port Vila and setting a course for Cairns, Australia. It's ca 1300 nautical miles, so if I average just over 100 miles per day as I typically do, the passage will take 12 or 13 days. This will be the first continent I sail to. Hopefully I will reach another one before year's end.

Some of the expats I have been drinking kava with very kindly chipped in and bought me a new guitar (a fender acoustic with a nice hard-case). Very touching and a nice contrast to the thievery of last week. They thought I might go crazy 12-13 days at sea without a guitar. It will certainly be a more pleasant passage with a guitar.

See y'all in Aussie.


2 comments:

  1. Sweeeeeet! Be safe, Lars ... be sure and say hello when you're on land ... we'll all be waiting to hear from you!

    Cheers,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, always good to see the positive side of humanity raising its head. Guitar is crucial. Keep us posted, and do send word upon arrival. Living vicariously through you, Bill

    ReplyDelete