Tuesday, April 9, 2013

T&T

is the contraction used for Trinidad and Tobago. For example, T&T Dollar (the local currency), T&T Express (one of the fast ferries that goes between Trinidad and Tobago). Tobago is the smaller, less populated, lower crime-rate, more laid-back of the two islands that make up the nation of T&T. Here are a few unremarkable photos.

After two days in Scarborough, the biggest town in Tobago, I sailed around to Store Bay on the western end of the island, where I will probably remain until setting sail for Cuba. As I sailed into the anchorage, Fran and John on the trimaran Ninth Charm (whom I met the next day) took some video and were kind enough to give me a copy (they are one of three boats here that just completed a circumnavigation in Tobago). As you can see I was only using the jib. Most of the short sail from Scarborough was downwind so I only used the jib and it wasn't worth the bother to raise the main for the beat into the anchorage.

The last few days have been dedicated to R&R--surfing, swimming, having a few malty beverages. In Mount Irvine Bay I found maybe the best surf-from-your-boat setup I have encountered on this trip (Second perhaps only to St. Pierre in Reunion Island, but that was a marina). Had I known about this gem I might've sailed directly there. Now I am too lazy to move the boat again before sailing for Cuba. It's not a long trip overland anyway to the surf. There were two sailboats anchored in Mount Irvine Bay the first day I surfed there--both Swedish. One was a solo-sailor who had been anchored there for several months enjoying the surf. The other one was a familiar-looking Albin Vega that turned out to be my friends Maria and Mark on Mare Liberum (they also completed a circumnavigation when arriving Tobago) whom I last saw in Durban, South Africa.

Tuesday the 9th, Jerry, Nina, and Hillary on the boat Arctracer (another circumnavigation completed in Tobago) kindly let me ride along to turtle beach where we were lucky enough to see a leatherback turtle digging a hole, laying her eggs, and covering it up before heading back to sea.

I think I will set sail for Cuba around Thursday. From here it's a little under 1400 miles to Cienfuegos on the south coast of Cuba. If I average 5.0 knots, that will mean 11.7 days for the passage. If I can manage 5.5, it will be a day shorter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment