Monday, July 2, 2012

North Along The Great Barrier Reef (GBR)

I'm planning to depart Cairns Wednesday (the 4th of July, happy independence day, USA). The forecast is for 20 to 30 knots (fortunately from the southeast) for the next 6 days, so there will be plenty of wind. There are basically two options--sail straight through to The Torres Strait outside the GBR, or sail during the day and anchor at night inside the reef (too many obstacles to sleep while sailing inside the GBR). I'm planning to stay inside the reef and hopefully stop and snorkel a few places along the way. With 20-30 knot winds, it will be a bit bumpy outside the reef. Hopefully it will be smoother inside.

I have purchased an airline ticket for Punta Arenas, Chile departing Darwin on July 27, so I've got to hustle. Once through The Torres Strait, I will likely sail straight through to Darwin (ca 800 miles from Torres Strait).

In the meantime, I've been doing some boat maintenance and looking for a dinghy. No luck on the dinghy front. So, now I'm resigned to sail without one till I get to Darwin where there should be a better selection.

Hopefully there will be cell phone coverage for at least part of the time while I'm sailing along the GBR, so feel free to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment